Thursday, January 26, 2012

Bog #1


Hello, to everyone reading.

 This is first of a series of blogs I will be writing for my English class. Over the next couple of weeks I will be just posting my ideas on the discussions we have in my online class. This week we divulged deeper into the core of a story which is plot, character and setting, at least in my opinion.

I analyzed the plot of the story “A rose for Emily” by Ernest Hemingway.  As I read on through the story the plot wasn’t set up in the usual manner following the chronological order of rising action, denouement, falling action etc...
The plot had all its parts, but how the author displayed the events in the story seemed to backwards. How so a person may make ask? Well   from the start of the story I discovered the main character was already dead and everyone was at her funeral!  This was probably the calmest or uneventful part of the story, the rest of the story just kept getting more and more intense and intriguing. As if the falling action came before the rising action which again I found perplexing but interesting.  But I digress back to the story of Emily; the author began to reveal the history of Emily and who she really was and why she was like that. I noticed the more I read the more  grotesque/awkward this woman named Emily was. The more I read the text  the more tension acquired,  knowing just by a guess something tragic and weird would probably take place. So all my anxiety paid off Emily had died and the climax of the entire story was that Emily had killed her suitor unfortunately and was sleeping with his dead carcass which was a complete shocker! But, out of this strange ending I finally realized the way the author developed this plot really captured my attention. As I sit back and ponder on the plot of this text a few questions danced along my mind. The question that arose from me immediately from this strange plot organization is that does plot have a chronological order and that it must obey it? Such as the falling action must come before the rising action? Also, does scrambling the order of plot, at times give a more successful story or does it hinder it?

The next big issue/subject of this week is setting and character. Even though I believe plot drives the story on to progress to a form of resolution, I’m at a standstill whether character or setting  gives life and emotion to a story that a reader feels when reading a story. When I say life, I mean a sense of understanding the situation of the story a form empathy I suppose. This week I also read Ernest Hemingway’s “A Soldier’s Home" to further understand character and stetting. In this text “A soldier’s Home" A soldier, who is the main character, returns home from war. The solider is distant to his family and seemingly grief stricken or in mental turmoil over something. The soldier’s mental turmoil causes his family much stress especially his mother. The mother in this story is extremely pivotal due without her none of soldier’s feelings could be picked up easily the mother served as the medium. The main character , the soldier, to me gave life to the plot because I could now understand the feelings this story i tried to portary.  My problem immedately arose right after this realization, did the setting of post war have anything to do with making the plot and story come alive?  After a few hours of thinking I’ve made up my mind, character and setting in a way coexist to bring alive the story to capture a readers emotions in my opinion. My final frontier for these discussions I’ve been having over the last few weeks is my fiction analysis paper, I wonder what text I will be given to analyze.
Well this is the end of my technically first blog, till next time my fellow bloggers.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment