Thursday, April 5, 2012

Blog 4


Hello again all who choose to read my blogs. My final weeks of this class are upon me. This week my class teachings changed from formal analysis of fiction to Reader- Response criticism.

The idea of Reader- Response criticism is still quite hazy to me, even after reading a dreadfully long section out of a textbook on the subject.  With what  I learned from the textbook and various Google sites, is that reader response criticism is not an objective type of analysis , Reader- response criticism is more personal than  a formal analysis. Reader response criticism is what emotions, feelings and thoughts a person gets form the text rather than what the text is actually trying to portray. To make the story short Reader- Response criticism is how the text a person reads effects a person's interpretation of a text. Don’t quote me on that I could be very off with this self-made definition. Reader response criticism to me is great for discussions and group work for this type of analysis, this criticism let’s differing interpretations clash or mingle. This week to get a better feel of reader response criticism I was instructed to read " 55 miles to the Gas Pump" by E.Annie Proulx and " The Lynching" by Claude McKay. I like these two texts because they were fairly vague but still established a concrete point to be interpreted. With this opaque text I read I could create my own response and interpretation and then later look up the real meaning of the text and most of all ask myself" why did I am think this way?" or “Wow! I was thinking the same as the Author(s) who wrote these text.” 

In this blog I will start with the text " 55 miles to the Gas Pump" by E.Annie Proulx, I didn’t really start interpreting the text till my second read through which I definitely think helped me in creating a better interpretation of text, because from that point on I played attention to every little detail and question every little emotionally charged sentence. Before I begin I’ll give everyone reading who isn’t familiar with this story an extremely short summary.
          A man  name Mr. Room, cheated on his wife multiple times and killed all his mistresses and locked them in an attic  at  some point in time   Mrs.Croom broke into and found  the deceased bodies. Mr. Croom is also drunk in this story and has reached an edge of a cliff. 

          So, now for my  interpretation, once  I read the story a second time a new view of the situation came about in my mind especially in regards to Mr.Croom. In the text the author said Mr.Croom went to a place he knew there was a cliff.  To me when a person is drunk I believe   that person’s inner personality comes out. In regards to Mr.Coom I believe that inner personality is guilt, from the act of murder and infidelity. From the text I assume these are the reasons he attempted to commit suicide (later learned he did). Now for Mrs. Croom  I believe honestly Mrs.Croom knew all along and just wanted to see the horrors and  the truth for herself of her husband  twisted deeds or hobbies such as going to great extents to get into the  the extremely secured attic. Over all I really like the text I found it great for reader response criticism.

That’s all the blogging I can do for today, I will see you next time bloggers!

No comments:

Post a Comment